[Dailydrool] Raw Diet questions

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 12:30:38 PST 2009

When you have a basset question-just ask the Drool!  About 2 months  ago I
switched my "itchy' boy Crackers over to a raw diet. Some of you may
remember about three years ago his nose swelled up and turned red (like a  clowns)
and after a lot of $$$$ including a rhinoscopy it was determined he had  an
infection of the soft palate. I treated him with antibiotics (and droolers
saved me about $700 by suggesting Costco as the best price.) Several
readers  urged me to switch his food so I put him on Wellness Fish and Sweet
Potato and  90% of his itches cleared up and his nose went back to normal. But he
still  would get these bouts of itching, mostly feet and legs. I hated to
keep getting  drugs so I decided to try a raw diet. Fortunately a very
knowledgeable woman  just opened a pet supply store in my neighborhood and
together we figured out he  might do best on SOJOS fruit and vegetable mix. I add
80% ground beef for the  protein and he has much more energy, his coat lost
that greasy feel, he  is itching less and he loves the food. My problem- he
has lost a lot  of weight. He was never fat (55 Lbs) but he is down to 47 and
his ribs are  showing. The directions say your dog will initially lose
weight but then regain  it by building muscle. Well, I am not buying him a gym
membership to pump iron  but should I be putting something else in his diet?
He only gets dried chicken  jerky for treats now so that is more protein. I
also don't want to take him to  the vet for tests when there probably is
nothing wrong.
Any of you have any suggestions or is this normal and I am worried over
nothing..
Kathy with Crackers, Loki and Jordan