[Dailydrool] avg weight

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 22 19:55:12 PST 2009

Well I say most bassets should be around 55-60 pounds.  Flash is 52 but when he was like 4yrs old he was almost 65 pounds.
There is a 5 point body condition score: http://vet.osu.edu/1851.htm
and a 9 point Body Condition Score (which I like): http://www.purina.com/dogs/health/BodyCondition.aspx

Regardless of the chart you use this is what you should see:
-Ribs palpable without excess fat covering. Waist observed behind ribs when viewed from above. Abdomen tucked up when viewed.

Abused dogs used to be (and sadly still are) unweight.  But people forget that overweight is abuse too.  I saw a beagle mix from a rescue who was 90#!  She later was attacked by a dog when her foster mom was walking her.  She said her rolls were the only thing that saved her!

Hypothyroidisim and Cushing's Disease (Hyperadrenocorticism) can also be underlying causes of obesity.

Laura (who is a 7.5/9)
Flash (who is a 5/9)
Ryu (who is a 5.5/9)