[Dailydrool] Vaccines

Laura Tancredi tancgirl1980 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 26 10:24:51 PST 2009

I'm not a huge fan of over vaccinating.  Currently some vaccines are only labeled for 1 year or 6 mos (bordetella).  After their first 1 yr rabies vaccine once every 3 years is fine LEGALLY.  Although there is research supporting 5 years for rabies vaccines legally that is not the case and it's not worth the heart ache of having your animal put to sleep.

DHPP should probably be extended to 3 yrs.  Lepto is serious and should still be booster every year in areas were it is common.  Parvo also should be yearly.  The overall problem is this: most people don't take that good a care of their animal medically.  If I had everyone on the drool as my clients I would be very happy.  The most common discussion that comes up amoung vets is: will people come in for a physical of their animal everyyear even if a vaccine isn't due.  The answer is no.  Although distemper, hepatitis and parainfluenza are not as common as they used to be (due to vaccinations), they are still common in areas were people don't vaccinate.

My dogs get rabies and DHPP every 3 years.  I should be doing lepto every year too since they were getting that but we are currently in an area that sees 1 case a year.

A great alternative to vaccinating is doing titers.  Then you know if they really need to be vaccinated.  In  my mind I would be happier if people did monthly heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative year round than vaccinated every year.

As for splitting up vaccines - I would LOVE to do that.  I suggest/recommend that ALL the time.  Nobody wants to have to bring their dog back to the animal hospital.  Most people think that once a puppy is vaccinated at 6-8 weeks old they are good for life.

The vaccine debate rages on!

Laura
Flash and Ryu