[Dailydrool] Crackers weight loss and my scary morning

KR1204 at aol.com KR1204 at aol.com
Sun Nov 29 07:34:04 PST 2009

Thanks to everyone who replied to my concern that Crackers was losing too
much weight on his raw diet. After much consultation it was decided that he
probably needs more protein so in addition to the ground meat he is getting
raw  chicken livers, low fat cottage cheese and yogurt and raw eggs
although not all  at each feeding. Needless to say he is loving it. I can't quite
work myself up  to the raw chicken necks etc but maybe in the future.
Thanksgiving morning I was coming down the stairs with the gang when about
the second step from the bottom I noticed a strange odor. Not poop or vomit
 or pee. I let everyone out and was sniffing all over the downstairs but I
could  not identify it. But it was kind of strong. While I was fixing the
basset's  breakfast I had a blinding revelation! It was natural gas!!! Sure
enough, I  looked at the knobs on the stove and one was turned on but no
flame! I quickly  shut down my heater, turned on the fan, threw open as many
windows as I could  and stepped outside for a couple of breaths of fresh air for
myself. After about  an hour, I felt the house was safe. Now I know I did
not leave a burner on as it  was a back burner and I rarely if ever use them.
However, Loki and Jordan have  been known to cruise the stove and grab
utensils to chew out of pots and pans. I  suspect it was Loki as Jordan comes to
bed with me and snuggles all night and  Loki is often downstairs as she
chases him out of the bedroom from time to time.  My knobs are on the front of
the stove so a basset paw could have pressed and  turned it. Anyone know of
a way to protect the knobs from this short of leaving  them off?
Kathy with a happy Crackers, Loki and Jordan the mischief  hounds