[Dailydrool] Christmas decorating

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:20:28 PST 2009

With four cats and two dogs, these are the things I do to protect my holiday
sanity and my babies' safety:
- Put the tree up mid December -- why give them extra time to break it?
- Leave the bottom row of branches off the artificial tree. My big cat liked
to wrestle with them.
- No metal hooks. All ornaments get ribbon loops tied to them upon arrival,
and they generally last well from year to year.
- All the generic "ball" type ornaments are plastic, bought at a Big Lots
store years ago. They've lasted surprisingly well, and they were CHEAP. And
they bounce, too. :)
- Any breakable ornaments go on the top half of the tree, about halfway back
on a branch, or onto displays on the mantle or shelves.
- Presents don't get bows until the day before. Stick on bows turn into cat
hockey pucks, and raffia gets eaten.
- Confirm that any gifts coming from outside the house have no food in them
before placing under the tree.
- Remember that part of the point of the holiday season is to enjoy time
with your family, including your pets. Getting stressed out about the
decorations really defeats the purpose.
- Repeat the previous point to myself as necessary.

Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season. Josh and Abbie had their own
Thanksgiving dinner Thursday made from the recipe in Scooter Pie's cookbook,
so they have almost as many leftovers as we do! They're OK with the idea of
turkey and veggies with their kibble for the next week, though. :)

- Jaclyn