[Dailydrool] Not a happy Gotcha Day (long)

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 5 09:56:37 PDT 2009

Today I should be writing to tell you all that tomorrow (the 6th) is Clara's second Gotcha Day. I expect I'd be telling tales about her sweet nature, her funny ways, her enthusiasm for most things and the way she rules the house.

However, right now I am just grateful she is alive.

We have had a very difficult couple of months as a family. I won't bore you all, but it involves illness, redundancy and a life-changing diagnosis for one of my (two-leg) kids.

last week I took that child away for a few days to rest up and get over the shock. I left my youngest under the care of her gran and my dogs with the XH. We came home Friday, picking up the dogs on the way.

When we got home Clara seemed a bit quiet and I assumed she was tired from a week of playing basset 500 with Tessie. My youngest was also a little poorly with a cough.

A couple of hours after getting home Clara was sick. She also threw up her supper, but she was perfectly happy and was drinking water. She then spent the remainder of the evening running outside, gobbling grass and then throwing up. However, she wasn't sick overnight or the next morning, but didn't want her breakfast.

My youngest woke in the morning with severe asthma. I took her to a doc and got medication etc, but she didn't improve enough. By the evening I had to take her to A&E (ER) and she was admitted to hospital. I got home after midnight and both the dogs were happy to see me. We went out for a walk and Clara tried to chase the fox etc.

Sunday morning, Clara was still not eating and was not as cheerful, so I decided I would take her to the vet on Monday morning if she hadn't bucked up. At lunch time She was still following me round the house, but didn't want her walk.

When I returned from visiting my daughter in hospital  Clara didn't even get up to greet me, nor did she lift her head when I called her.

I took her straight to the vet. She was dehydrated, but there was nothing else obvious. The vet feared either a blockage or organ failure.
They took blood and did an Xray. The vet rang me later to say the bloodwork was all fine (phew), but the Xray showed nothing. She had done more Xrays and an ultrasound, but could find nothing wrong. It was decided she had eaten something bad and she was given a barrowload of meds. Not five minutes later the vet rang again to say Clara had passed a peach stone. It had been a blockage and she had managed to get it so far, but only passed it following the sedative which makes everything lax. The vet added that once she saw what it was she went back to check the Xrays and still couldn't see it.

The poor little thing could have died and I would never have known why. She is still with the vet, feeling very sorry for herself. But at least she is on the mend.

My daughter was discharged this afternoon.

Sally with Rolph and Clara, UK