[Dailydrool] giving pills

Racetrcker at aol.com Racetrcker at aol.com
Sun Oct 11 14:43:11 PDT 2009

Rocky has always been very good about taking  pills.  He knows that when he
swallows a pill after I have held his mouth  open, put it back in his
throat and then rubbed his neck to make sure he  swallows it, that he will get a
treat.  Lexie (ATB) was very bad about  taking pills.  I had to hide any
pills for her in a bit of her canned food  to get her to take it.  Maddie, who
we have had a couple of months now, had  to have drops in her eyes 6 times a
day for a while.  The first time was  fine, and then the next few days she
was absolutely fighting against getting the  drops and after a couple of
days I just quit and told the vet she wouldn't let  me do it.  Then she had to
have surgery on both eyes (each with a different  problem) and had to have
the drops six times a day, and we finally came to a  truce.  I would stand
over her back and hold her still and get the drops  in.  Then she would get a
treat and she finally figured out that  she'd might as well let me do it and
get her treat.  So the rest of  the time it went well.  I think each dog
has a different way of handling  whatever medications they need and by trial
and error, their slaves can figure  out which way works for each dog.

Both Rocky and Maddie have figured out that if  the other one cooperates
and takes their medicine, they will get a treat  too!

Carol