[Dailydrool] R.I.P. Walter Johnson Jan. 21, 2002 - Oct. 9, 2009

Matt Gold emgee752001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 12 14:24:46 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Some of you might remember Walter and I writing in the past few months about loss of appetite and cancer treatments.  With tons of sadness I have to say that I put Walter to sleep this past Friday.  I'm still heartbroken, but am relieved he is no longer suffering.  It was a terribly difficult decision.  At the end he was once again refusing food, but too sick to maintain any strength without.  He was barely drinking and could barely stand or walk.  It was horrible to see him deteriorate so quickly, but I am thankful it happened quickly rather than being drawn out any longer.

Walter was my best friend.  He was my best quality.  Other than family, he was the longest relationship I've ever had, along with the healthiest and most functional (that was easy - once I realized whatever he said goes, we were good).  I got him when he was 8-and-a-half weeks old.  He shared every key moment with me for the all-too-short time we were together.  He was a partner in two cross-country moves, lived in FL, CA and NY.  Been through hurricanes and earthquakes.  Walked the streets of Tombstone, AZ, trudged through the snow in Boston, stood outside the Alamo, and pounced through dog parks in all three states in which he lived.  He loved everyone he met, and anyone who knew him loved him back.  We've been stopped in the street while walking so parents can show him to their kids, I was asked on more than one occassion if I would breed him...so much, as you all know, you can go on and on about your loveable hounds.

I will probably be unsubscribing for a while as I continue healing.  I just noticed I was feeling it in my gut when the Drool updates came in.  I will be back.  I will find him a worthy successor one day.  For now, I have fantastic memories and an outpouring of love from all those who knew him.

Thank you all for your support the past couple of months, and for the great advice.  This is a fun group to be a part of.

Drool to all those in need.  And hug your hounds for me today, along with some belly and ear rubs.