[Dailydrool] Nancy's does some siteseeing in San Antonio

Susan Green suzyvette at satx.rr.com
Tue Oct 13 11:47:47 PDT 2009

What an exciting day in San Antonio.  I haven't been feeling well, actually slept 10 hours last night.  I got up and fed the girls, got a shower and hoped I would feel better and have a calm day.  About 11am I got a delivery from UPS.  I checked to make sure that Sophie & Nancy were gated in the kitchen and went to open the door with Holly at my side.  I opened the door to get the package and the next thing that I see is Nancy running out the door.  I never even heard the girls move the gate.

Nancy is my crate girl who is afraid of everything and everybody.  I grabbed a slip lead and ran out the front door in shorts and flip flops.  My UPS guy was right around the corner and told me which direction she ran.  He offered to help, but I didn't even think she would come to me.  I was hoping that she would run between 2 house so I could corner her, but she headed straight to the woods :(   I went back into the woods a few hundred feet, mud up to my ankles, and walking thru things I don't even want to think about.  The weeds were up to my waist.  I finally realized that I needed to go home and put on a pair of sneaks if I was going to go any further.  I called Dawn while I was changing shoes and back out I went.  I did NOT think that I would ever see her again :(

I went back into the woods and came out on the other side where there were 2 streets...didn't even know they were there.  They are actually in another sub-division from where I live.  There is also access to a hill that leads down into water that goes under a bridge.  I was hoping that she wasn't down there b/c I don't know that I could have gotten down there.  Well, may have gotten down there, but never would have gotten back up :)  As I'm writing this I just realized that I never bothered to grab my cell phone when I ran out the door.

The entire time I was calling her name, hoping to just see some movement.  Once I got to the streets I decided to walk along the side and just keep calling her.  I could see a pretty good way in all directions, but nothing was moving.
I started calling her again and all of a sudden I see her running down the street....coming to me.  And then I saw the traffic on the street I was standing on.  I did what anyone would do.  I help up my hands and waved the slip lead in the air....and every car stopped.  She ran as fast as she could to me, but was on the other side of a fence.  I was able to lean over and get the lead on her.  I then thanked the drivers and let them go by.  Then I took the fence down with my feet...didn't know I had that much strength.  Once I got it down I stood on it so she could walk over it.  And Nancy walked all the way home with me.

When we got home I did take my shoes off before I went into the house, but realized I already had mud from the front door to the kitchen.  I had mud all the way up to my knees, and poor Nancy had mud all over her.  I opened the back door to let everyone out.  Holly & Sophie were ticked that they didn't get to go on the adventure.  My 2 pair of shoes are now sitting outside, tried cleaning them off with the hose but there is mud and whatever packed in the tread.  I cleaned myself off outside with the hose.

I took the bedding out of the crates and put towels in there so she can clean herself off.  I had a towel on the floor and she actually rubbed her belly on it.  There went her $75 spa day....LOL

I have to be honest.  I never thought that I would see her again.  The next time I open the front door I will make sure that they can't move the gate.

Now it's time for me to go collaspe back into my sick bed.  I will worry about my rugs, kitchen floor, and shoes later.

Suz
Holly Noelle - What are those smells?
Sophie - Why didn't I get to go?
Nancy - I didn't have much, I was scared