[Dailydrool] Dog bites & ER

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Thu Oct 15 08:23:17 PDT 2009

<<I think the reason for the referral to the ED was because he was turfing
the need to report the bite to the health department. All animal bites must
be reported. Some towns just ask for proof of rabies vaccination, others
will quarantine the offender for a week to ten days.>>

In New Jersey, the ER only seems to want to do a full report if the dog is
not yours. A couple of times I've been in after Abner bites, and they did
not do the report. The first time, they gave me paperwork to fill out, but
once they learned that it was my dog, they dropped the idea. Now maybe they
reported it, but just as being my own dog.

Abner's back on Prozac, to keep him calmer--he did not bite when he was on
it before. The behaviorist told me it does very well at providing bite
inhibition. I'm not quite trusting Abner yet, but if it's like last time, he
should be fine in a few days. From now on I think we'll just keep him on the
drug, to keep everyone safe.

I'm sure it doesn't help that I'm hot on the deadline of another book and
that Drew is still unemployed and rather stressed about it. A more peaceful
home would be so much easier on our poor Abs.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets