[Dailydrool] Blind Bassets

Linda Gardner hockeyphans at verizon.net
Mon Oct 26 16:04:08 PDT 2009

I periodically watch my friend's two bassets when they go on
vacation.  One of them is blind.  He's amazing.

The first time I took care of them their owners went to China for
three weeks to adopt a baby.  Of course they weren't sure when they
were going.  I was having my kitchen renovated and didn't know when
that was happening.  Well, Murphy's Law it happened at the same time.
The first few days refrigerator was moved, blocking in the back door.
My husband took my two and our visitors to the lake for a few days.
Then they came back home.  It seemed every day the kitchen would be
different.  Yogi didn't miss a beat.  You would think he lived here
his whole life.

When we watch them in the summer, we travel back and forth to the
lake.  There are three cement steps down from our back door here, and
five wooden steps at the lake.  After a few days in each place, he
just knows how many steps he has to make to get out.  He's not at all
phased by the differences in the houses.

Linda Gardner
(Serving Wench to Lucy and Bubba)