[Dailydrool] Poisonous plants

Cheryl Medlin tmedlin at triad.rr.com
Tue Oct 27 16:18:28 PDT 2009

I went to google and found American Animal Hospital Asso. lists onions and garlic among other plants as harmful.I don't know about the recipe you have. I use liquid garlic to spray my yard in the spring to battle mosquitos, but it is very diluted and I imagine how much and in what form would matter in any case. Even potato and tomato plants and roots are harmful, but I gave my dog small amounts of potato chips occasionally. Parts of the black walnut tree are poisonous to humans and animals, but the ground hulls ( in store bought capsules)are helpful to fight parasites. I try to keep my pets away from onions and garlic as a food, but I imagine at some time thay have had a taste of something that it was cooked into. I found that mums and lillies and hydrangeas are harmful, but my Basset never bothered them. However I have a small puppy with a very strong hunting instinct, and I am concerned about his eating them.He puts everything into his mouth.The strawberry jam we buy has a hidden ingredient; grape.My Basset loved to have a bite of my toast, but I had to quit giving it after I read the ingredients. The small amount he had had didn't harm him before I learned it was a hidden ingredient. I thought years ago, garlic was mentioned as a pill to keep flies and fleas off outdoor dogs. Maybe it was discovered to be harmful in recent years.