[Dailydrool] Clever bassets

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sat Oct 31 18:01:48 PDT 2009

Last night we turned off the tv and told our Elsinore and young
Charlie what we always tell them at that time of night: "Time to go
outside and take care of things one last time before bedtime."

Elsinore did what she's been doing lately--shot right into her crate
and waited for her bedtime biscuit. Charlie did what he's been doing
lately--continued to lie on his bed and give us a blank,
uncomprehending look.

Ken herded them as far as the back entry, at which point I took over.
Elsinore raced out the back door and down the ramp to the grass,
where she did what can only be described as "speed-peeing." Then she
tore back up the ramp, rocketed into her crate, and looked for her
treat.

Charlie slowly plodded across the back entry, painfully made his way
through the back door, and turned around on the doormat to stare at
me forlornly for a long moment. Then he stepped into the dog house
that covers the dog door entrance on the back deck and stood inside
the dog house for about fifteen seconds before spryly popping through
the dog door into the back entry as if he'd just come in from taking
care of things in the backyard. He happily hopped into his crate and
waited for his treat.

His subterfuge was very obvious and extremely clever. I was most
impressed by it. Bassets only look slow and stupid. Believe that at
your own peril.

Elizabeth