[Dailydrool] Tulip Tales

Tom and Debbie Roberts stanpen at comcast.net
Thu Sep 3 05:05:04 PDT 2009

I'm so sorry to hear Tulip has lymphoma.  We are sending gallons of drool
and good wishes your way in the hopes of a speedy remission.  We went
through lymphoma with Casey back in 2006.  He had a tumor that was removed
and he was subsequently treated with chemo.   While the treatment for dogs
is not as bad as it is for humans, there were some drugs that made him feel
worse than others.  We were given anti-nausea drugs to help with any
digestive problems he might have, so you might want to ask your vet about
those.  Also, chemo drugs can completely wipe out their white blood cells.
If this happens, they are more prone to infection and will need to skip a
treatment.  We had the most problem with Vincristine.  He had to have that a
couple of times and it just wiped him out.  Honestly, we didn't see a lot of
improvement for about a month.  He would be fairly lethargic for 2-3 days
after treatment and then would start acting more like himself.  However, he
was never as playful as he was before he got sick and did tire very easily
the entire time he was being treated.  He slept a lot, but did have a good
appetite until the very end.  He was on a lot of medication.    Aside from
the chemo itself, he was on Flagyl, Raglen, and Prednisone.  He also had
pain meds just in case, although he did not need those until the very end.

You and your vet are the best judges of how Tulip is doing.  Casey never
completely came out of remission, but we did have seven months that we would
not have had without treatment.    It was not easy and there were times when
he really felt lousy.  I would definitely call the vet and ask more
questions.  I did this constantly and it's amazing how much they can put
your mind at ease.

Good luck - we're wishing you all the best at this difficult time.

Debbie

Owned by Clarabelle and Roscoe

Being Watched Over by Penelope, Stanley and Casey ATB