[Dailydrool] Allergy issues

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Sep 7 04:49:16 PDT 2009

Changing food is a good place to start when you're discovering just what's
causing itchiness, but it's not the only solution.

First, I would ask myself if the problem is seasonal. Our Abner gets itchy
in the spring and fall. Obviously, that means it's not a food problem--the
food won't suddenly stop bothering him two seasons of the year. It's
probably an inhaled allergy issue. This year, even in August, Abs started
with a bit of itching. Maybe your hound doesn't have a problem then, but is
terribly uncomfortable in the summer. It might be that whatever irritants
are around at that season are the cause of the itching.

On the other hand, our Belvedere is terribly allergic to corn. It took us a
long time to figure out just what the problem was, until I fed him a number
of corn chips and suddenly his underarms were red, bumpy, and itching to
beat the band. That's when the light dawned on Marblehead! Have you had
outbursts of allergies just after you've fed your hound a tasty piece of
steak, bits from a lovely chicken dinner, or a corn tortilla (or whatever)?
Then you know where to start. Eliminate the offending food, but be sure you
eliminate ALL of it. Bel kept on having itchy spells until I realized that
cornstarch, another ingredient in dog treats, was lower on the list of treat
ingredients. When anything with even a trace of corn was taken out of his
diet, he improved completely. Trying to get dog treats that are totally corn
free was hard. Finally the dog food industry realized that dogs were
sometimes allergic to corn and came up with corn-free treats . But since I
was spending a small fortune on dog treats, I started making my own. Hounds
are happy, and so am I, as long as I have time to make a batch in the
morning.

Since Abner seems to get an itchy mouth when he has wheat products, the
hounds are actually on a corn- and wheat-free diet. Rye flour makes great
dog treats (though you may have to use more of it than the AP flour most
treat recipes call for). Our last foster, Tyler, didn't much appreciate rye
treats' sharper flavor until the other hounds were scarfing them up. He
started chomping them down, and I'm sure if we'd had him for more than a
week, he would have ended up liking them.

Allergy issues may take patience to work out, but it can be done. And you'll
all be a lot happier once your dog no longer itches!
Pam, food slave and treat baker to the Dashing Bassets (who sometimes share
their treats to raise moolah for rescue)