[Dailydrool] Pitter patter of large feets

gravemast at aol.com gravemast at aol.com
Thu Sep 10 07:36:44 PDT 2009

I lost my heart dog, Calypso about 4 weeks back.....It still breaks my heart when I go home and she is not there....tail thumping waiting for her afternoon scritches...but Harley has somewhat filled the void by becoming a velcro dog lately...always wanting attention...I think she knows what I need...Hound therapy.

?In the last few weeks I found out that the local basset rescue is closing their doors to new intakes, due to the economy and lack of volunteers.? It tears me up, because it is a fantastic group of people.? But I decided that I wanted to help out, and since there was an empty bunk (so to speak) at my home, I would attempt to foster (and most likely fail).? After visiting with a few younger hounds that were at the rescue, I weighed my options.? I was a bit concerned that a 2 year old or 10 month old would be too high Energy for Harley (9 years).? There was one more doggie to visit, but she was already being fostered.?

I met with Miss Annabelle (6 years old) and her foster slave Amanda.? She was utterly beautiful hound that was dropped off at an animal shelter after her owners got divorced and decided that neither wanted her.? She was about to be euthanized (that day in fact) when Amanda came in to pick up a Mastiff (she rescues them usually).? Amanda saw Annabelle and found out she was on death row....and called her friend (president of the local basset rescue) and volunteered to pull her and foster her until another place was found for her. This hound was obviously pampered in her original home, because she is a total princess (and she knows it).

?? So I met with them, and I fell in love with this sweet little girl, whose attitudes reminded me somewhat of a younger version of Calypso.? She was such a nice girl..well behaved and mannered (yes she is a basset)....so charming....It took me all of 15 minutes on the ride home to decide to adopt her outright.? I filled out the paperwork, sent in the adoption fee, and set up all of the details.

?? Gotcha day will be tomorrow at 4PM CST.? I cant help but think that Calypso put this houndette on my radar and as much as I miss her, I know I will be crazy about Annabelle too.? So I want to say thank you to Calypso for all of the wonderful years ( I can never replace you baby), Thanks to Leslie and Looziana Basset Rescue (a top notch rescue organization to say the least), and most of all....thanks to Amanda for pulling this girl on what could have been her last day, and taking terrific care of her as a foster mom.

I am so excited I can hardly stand it.

Tom, Slave to Harley (9), Annabelle (6), and Calypso (ATB)