[Dailydrool] Anal gland question

Kathie Goblirsch Bookwyrm at comcast.net
Sat Sep 12 12:09:21 PDT 2009

Our Gabby (almost 5) has been needing the vet techs to express her anals
much more frequently of late.
Last week, we took her in because she'd been constantly licking down
there for at least a week.
Diagnosis: the material expressed was loaded with blood and pus.  The
lab test said that it was an e-coli infection. The vet instilled a
antibiotic into the glands at that time and put her on a ten day regimen
of oral antibiotics (cephalexin).
We went in today for a re-check and it looks very good.
She had the glands expressed and more antibiotic instilled.  We're to
bring her back in two weeks for a repeat and then in two more weeks for
the same.
Our vet did say that if Gabby gets another bad anal infection, he'd
recommend surgery to remove the glands permanently.
I'd appreciate comments from any Drooler who has had the surgery done on
their hound.

Kathie G