[Dailydrool] Anal Gland Infection

V. Tata-Phillips my4hounds at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 13 12:30:24 PDT 2009

I gotta ask how your vet tech knows the anal glad infection in question is e coli - did they do a culture?  There is so much contamination down there that there are lots of different bacteria and I am sure e coli is one of them (altho not the only one!)

Took our Duffy 8 weeks of 3 different antibiotics with 2 infusions at the end of the process.  He was scheduled for surgery the week before it finally miraculously cleared up.  Part of his recoup was also 50 mg Rimadyl twice a day to aid with the inflammation.  Moral of the story - anal gland infections are difficult to clear up - can take quite a long time but with the proper antibiotic and infusions, I believe you can clear most of them up.  I would never do surgery unless the infections were recurring and non-responsive to treatment.  This was Duffy's 1st problem of this nature and he is 9 years old.  Hoping it does not come back!  The quote for surgery was over $600 - YIKES!

10 days is not long enuf on oral antibiotics.  If this problem happens again with Duf, we know to do weekly infusions and at a minimum 14 days, but more likely 30 days of oral antibiotics.  Anyway - this was the first time we have dealt with this and we have had many dogs over the years.  So hopefully it will all clear up and not come back!  Definitely renew that oral antibiotic once or twice before going in for expensive surgery - and painful too, I would imagine.

GinnyTata-Phillips, co-author of DOGKU, PETKU and the all Bassets all the time BASSETKU!

 EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me