[Dailydrool] Back surgery

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Sun Sep 27 11:27:46 PDT 2009

One of my subscribers (in Connecticut) sent this message and wonders
about other opinions -- mostly, I think, whether one should or should
not opt for back surgery. What do Droolers think?
 >We had the worst thing happen in May. Our 11 yr. old boy, Dipstick,
had gone on his last walk 2 days previously when he wanted to go again.
We never take him because of his arthritic back. All of a sudden his
hind legs wouldn't work and he was shaking. I immediately took him to
the vet who said to go to the emergency vet. He had a herniated disk
that was operable. So without talking to the surgeon and hearing of the
options we consented to the surgery. Post-op he would not eat and
couldn't stand. We took him out of their ICU and brought him home with a
feeding tube and foley catheter. After 2 weeks of him not eating or
standing I chose to put him down. The bill was estimated at $4000 but
went to $8000. I felt that he didn't want to live that way. The vets
just were running an expensive tab and we have 6 other bassets, 2
bulldogs, 4 goldens, and a Newfoundland. So we owe that vet and our
regular vet $3000 plus. We have another hound, Butch who's 10 with a bad
back as well.<
Responders can post to the Drool or me personally, or both. Thanks,
Riche Churchill
www.Bugler-bassethoundmagazine.com