[Dailydrool] pumpkin

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 29 14:39:55 PDT 2009

This is the season for Pumpkin... I saw a huge display of it at Walmart yesterday. Always be sure to buy 100% pumpkin- NOT pumpkin pie filling ( has extra spices and sugars etc in it.)

You can also buy fresh pumpkin- be sure to get the eating kind- not the ones meant to be Jack-o lanters. They can be eaten too- but the smaller ones are tastier and will cook up a bit easier. Just cut in half- scoop out the seeds ( you can bake those, after you wash them, for an hour or so at 250 with a sprinkle of salt and have a snack for yourself).

Easiest is to cut up the pumpkin into pieces that will fit into a large pot of  water- cook until tender when pricked with a fork. Drain and cool and then just scrape the 'meat' off the skin. Refrigerate and use as you would the canned. I am not sure if it can be frozen- maybe someone else knows. A small pumpkin should be enough to last you a week or so- guess that depends on the number of hounds :) I store mine in tupperware...when I am feeling domestic and actually cook the stuff instead of opening a can!

droolies, Angelika