[Dailydrool] Pet Insurance

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Wed Sep 30 17:47:54 PDT 2009

I do not have insurance for Fred and Annie, but periodically I look into it, and wonder if it's something I should do.? They are relatively young (Annie's 5 and Fred's 6) and generally healthy (knock on every piece of wood I can find!)? Even taking them to the vet for routine things is expensive, but at least I can somewhat plan ahead for that.? A few months ago, Fred got a stomach virus or something and was vomiting and had diarrhea.? This was the second time he'd had an episode like this, but both times I felt that I wanted to make SURE it wasn't anything else.? So, after x-rays, blood work, etc., it cost me close to $400 to be told, "he has a stomach virus"!!? The only really expensive visit was last summer.? They both had their teeth cleaned, and Annie had x-rays on her leg and a lump removed and biopsied...that brings me to my other concern about pet insurance.? The lump was a mast cell tumor.? I'm assuming that this would be considered a pre-existing condition and, God forbid she ever got another, I doubt it would be covered.

Anyway, the point of this all is this question:? Do any of you have pet insurance?? If so, why did you decide to do it, and are you glad that you did?? What company do you use and which plan?? They all seem expensive, but I worry about the cost of medical treatments down the road, especially as they get older.

Thanks,

Rose, Annie and Fred (we do NOT like going to the vet!? Mommy should save her money and not make us go!!)