[Dailydrool] Homer ATB 3/31/2010

Melissa Jokela mjokela at camulus.org
Thu Apr 1 00:34:36 PDT 2010

i was hoping that i wouldn't have to write this for a long long time but
yesterday we had to let homer go to the bridge.  currently alex and i
feel a huge hole in our hearts and home without him here.  it has been
much much harder than either of us imagined it would be!  our house is
way too quiet without him here and we miss him terribly.

homer came into our lives at a very difficult time, as he was brought
into the family to keep me company while i was ill and going through
tests to find out what was wrong.  homer kept me going and was the
reason that i kept pushed through and did finally find a diagnosis.  he
became a huge part of our lives.  he went everywhere with us and loved
to travel.  one of his favorite places was at the cabin where he could
swim and go boating.  he was the reason we got involved in basset rescue
and met all of the great friends that we have.

about two to three years ago homer began to have episodes where he would
just lash out and whoever or whatever was closest got it.  back then it
was only coming maybe once every month or two but since last friday they
were coming multiple times a day.  it was getting to the point that it
was dangerous to us and the other dogs to have him around...so we had to
make our decision.  i know that this is what homer wanted us to do but
it is still so hard!  it was thought that there was something going on
with his brain and everything that we tried over the years didn't really
seem to help.

monday he had a bad episode and alex just about got bit (he was lucky he
had thick work pants on) trying to get him away from the others.  it was
at that point that we realized that it was getting much to worse and we
had to make this tough decision.

yesterday morning rudy wanted to go out at 4:10am so i decided that i
would let him out and see how homer was doing.  homer knew something was
going on with him and for the past few months decided to separate
himself from everyone and that is how he wanted to spend his last
night.  he curled himself into the back of his room on his bed early in
the night and just wanted to stay there.  at 4:10 he also decided to
come out and i took that opportunity to bring him upstairs for some time
alone with him.  he was like old homer and just laid there next to me
licking away my tears.  he ended up sleeping there until 6:30.

we decided to take him to Mc. D's to get an ice cream cone...figured he
might as well have what he loves on his last day.

homer taught us so much and for that we will be forever grateful.  i
will never ever forget him and he will always have a huge piece of my
heart!  i'm hoping that in time the pain will ease and we will be able
to remember all of the good times with him and keep his memory going
through those memories.

run free at the bridge homer j skillet!  we will always love you and
will never forget you!

melissa & alex
sarge, gerdie, foster rudy and homer ATB