[Dailydrool] My Korean Basset Hound

Anthony Park fleuretist at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 08:18:46 PDT 2010

My oldest Flash, is now 15 and has been with me now for 12 years... since
Feb 1999

He loves seafood. When we took him too the beach he'd eat mussels off the
rocks and even eat the tiniest blue crabs off the beach. Crunch Crunch
Crunch. All gone.

When I eat King Crablegs his eyes get so wide, they look like Anime eyes.
HYOOGE!!!

All my dogs love seafood actually and  get it now and then as a treat. I
separate them and give them each the meat from a whole King
Crableg.(Although the economy has been bad  lately so not much of that going
on right now)

Flash LOVES kimchi. I don't get it. He is just crazy for it. Spices and all.
I do wash off most of the spices, but now and again he gets a regular spicy
piece and he loves it. Its the one time I can get him to jump up on me. :-)

He was very badly abused by his former owner, beaten very badly so he is
horribly mistrusting of men. To this day if I move too fast or to suddenly
his eyes get all slanted and the fangs come out. Its actually the cutest
thing but for the reason it happens. It's heartbreaking really.

For the last 3 years we've changed his diet considerably. I'm not a big fan
of commercial dog food. Considering how long it stays in hot trucks before
its sold, AND mystery 'bone meal' ingredients... well I just can't do it.

Moreover, I noticed that Flash was getting too decrepit too soon on regular
dog food. I think Wheat is the silent killer of dogs AND humans.... anyways.

I started making homemade dog food after consulting with a sympathetic vet.
He gave me a dozen different recipes all dog healthy and told me to
experiment to find what worked best for my dogs.

I crush up 2 kids vitamins per dog (4 dogs) per day. 1 in the morning and
one in the evening.

For the actual food I do the following:

1 meal Per dog:

1 cup cooked oats (no more than 3 times per week due to oxalic acid)

1 cup brown rice cooked

Several heaping tablespoons yogurt, prefrably plain Greek.. but my boys like
any flaovr

1 crushed kids vitamin.. preferably the ones with no aspartame.

several pieces of in season fruit

1/2 a whipped raw  egg

4 tables spoons of slow cooked pinto( to get rid of the gassy stuff in beans
you should slow cook them on the stove and beat them)

1 quarter pound cooked of either beef, chicken or fish or beef liver.

They eat 3 times a day but breakfast is a lighter meal of 1/2 egg, yogurt,
and oats or rice.

Ever since I starrted this with just oats and yogurt 3 years ago Flash has
become Super Flash. He used to have to be helped to get on the bed. Now he
runs and jumps. He did it with such verve once he actually leaped PAST the
California King bed and hit the wall!!!

There cannot be any better commercially made dog food on the market. If
there is, you and I should be eating it.

All my boys are energetic (for bassets) and mischievous. I attribute it to
the oats.

In your area there is undoubtedly some kind of food wholesaler. Here in AZ
there are several and also farmers markets that allow me to get vegetables
in bulk (which I puree for them). $40.00 a month is enough fo 4 dogs and two
adults.

Also I buy oats in 50 lb bags for $15.00  I buy Korean white rice(Kukoho
rose or Calrose is ok) at $25.00 per 100 lb bag. Brown rice at $22.00 per
100 lbs. 100 lb bag of pinto beans is $25.00

I get chicken breast or ground beef at 89 cents a pound if I buy in 50 lb
increments or more from the mexican ranch markets.

So there you have it. My secrets for making dog food on the cheap. I figure
roughly that most days end up costing me less than 25 cents a bowl. And its
healthier for them. YAY!

Tony in AZ
Father to Flash Goodbuddy, Roscoe P. Coltrane, Oliver, and Noogie the
Plotthound

PS: Sorry for the long post. :-)
.