[Dailydrool] Cremains--hounds mixed with humans

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Mon Apr 5 13:31:01 PDT 2010

I too have left instructions with my nearest and dearest to mix our
departed hounds' ashes with mine when I go, though who knows if
they'll actually do it because some of my nearest and dearest are
recalcitrant and contrary. We did that some time ago for someone who
died, and it gives the rest of us comfort to know that our dearly
departed is with that person's dogs both above and below.

Note that I haven't identified who died or even that person's gender.
The reason is that many cemeteries don't allow the internment of non-
human ashes, even when mixed with those of a human. If the cemetery
found out what it had buried on its grounds, that person and the dogs
would be disinterred and the family asked to take everyone's ashes
back. So we all have to be quiet about it.

I find this very stupid because no matter whose ashes they are, hound
or human, they're all equally biodegradable and nontoxic, for crying
out loud. And it's not like the mixed ashes of two different species
are going to even get a chance to do any biodegrading because they're
sealed up tight in a leak-proof, nonbiodegradable container.

But stupid or not, cemeteries have their rules and their rights to
disinter those who don't follow their rules. So those of us who want
our ashes to be mixed and buried with those of our hounds should
check that the cemetery of our choice will permit such a thing. If
the cemetery doesn't, then word must go out to everyone to not
breathe a word about exactly who's being buried in Auntie Faye's
plot. It's definitely not something to talk about on the day of the
internment, or you could be having not quite the funeral service
you'd planned.

Elizabeth