[Dailydrool] Henry puppy- barking - very long

Karen sparks_red at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 9 12:41:35 PDT 2010

I have to agree with a lot of the posters about not using a bark control device on a
puppy.  In my opinion you will create a fearful basset which is the one behavior
you do not want.  I am working with Isabelle right now who is very fearful. It breaks
my heart to see how her fears controls her life.  She is now on Valerian Root to help
take the edge off and will be working with a trainer in the next few weeks.  You don't want
that for Henry.

A four month old puppy is still in what I call the discovery and learning stage and will bark at
just about everything and for any reason.  They are also very impressionable so negative
reinforcement will have a negative effect.  I always think of them as a baby.  Would you
spray a baby for crying to loudly?  Absolutely not.  You find out what is causing them
distress and correct it.

I would try to find out why Henry is barking and what triggers it.  Is he lonely?  Remember
bassets are very sociable by nature.  They are a happiest with their pack and you are part of
their pack.  Is it separation anxiety?  Keep in mind that the socialization of a puppy from a
very young age is extremely important.  If the puppy was not properly socialized then you
can have issues.   AZBR has a very good article on separation anxiety that I suggest you read,
scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the section on separation anxiety, then
click the link.  http://www.azbassetrescue.com/about/FAQs.htm#separation

The saying "A tired basset is a good basset" is absolutely true.  Play time, walks, toys that keep
him busy and make him think are wonderful.  Socializing  him with other dogs and people will
help him to blossom.  Consider a puppy class for him but make sure the trainer is familiar with
basset hounds. Interview the trainer and go observe their class to see if this is the right one for
Henry.  If you go to a class where the trainer makes negative comments about Henry
being a basset or is not experience with bassets then find someone else.  In my opinion
a good trainer is either breed specific or has experience and is familiar with all breed's "quirks".
Just as you want your child to have a great education, you should want the same for Henry.
If you can't afford a trainer at this time then read up on specific training techniques for bassets.
Going to a dog park is cheap or free.  Network in your area to see if there are other families
with basset hounds that you can have play dates with.  Henry could benefit from playing with
"nice" adult canines.  They can teach him proper "doggy behavior".  There are lots of options.

Most of all, remember Henry is a baby and is learning.  Like a baby and being a basset he is learning
what he needs to do to "train" you to get his way.  Henry looks to you for what he needs and what is
good behaviors.  Time, love and LOTS of patience will help him to blossom.   If you find that you are
getting frustrated then take a time out.  There are times, with 7 bassets in my home, that I need a
time out.  Lastly I would suggest that you read up more on the basset personality.

I am not a trainer but this is just my two cents worth.
Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang