[Dailydrool] Scary Morning

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Tue Apr 13 12:24:58 PDT 2010

We had a scare with Ruger at 0300 this morning! At about 3am I had just
returned to bed after a pee break, upon getting comfy I hear the dogs moving
around.  They usually sleep thourgh the night and if they need to go out
they will move around their room  (my dining room is now their bedroom and
has a sliding glass door to the back yard) they rarely bark to go out. I
think that I will wait to see if they settle down, then I hear it! The cage
kennel moving around. (they each have the cage type kennel for alone time if
needed)  My mind is now a rush of thoughts, my 1st thought is that someone
is in the house & trying to get my hounds!!! I go running down the hall,
Luckily I had on pajama's ( i normally do not sleep in pj's) I guess
motherly instinct kicked in becasue I run down the hall with a potential dog
theif in the house without my .38.  I flip the kitchen light on Colt is
doing the I got to go dance. (Which was really the hurry momma something is
wrong with my brother dance).  I open the gate to their room and their is no
hound thief, but a pile of pooh and a puddle of bile.  Ruger is at the
entrance to his kennel and appears to have his dog tags caught in the lip of
the kennel door.  But before I can get their he pops free, walks like a
drunken sailor around me & into the kitchen.  Colt is still doing the
anxious dance so keeping an eye on Ruger who is now sitting in the kitchen
like a stoned out pot head.  I open the door to let Colt out so that I can
take care of Ruger.  When I open the door Ruger walks out to the patio as if
nothing is wrong...just as normal as you please.  huh? So still keeping one
eye on Ruger who is now sitting on the patio I get the buppy spill kit
(Plastic bag, papertowels, and vinger/H20 solution). Just as I am tying off
the bag of hazadous waste (yeah it smells bad), Ruger starts to fall
over...looked like one of those old time silent film drama's with the damsel
swooning.  I was like Flash Gordon, dropped the pooh bag and cleaner, out
the door and I swear I caught that hound before he hit the ground.  Started
to pick him up to bring him inside to his soft bed, then he started a kind
of thrashing, seemed like he was a calf in a calf roping event  with tied
legs and was trying to get up but couldn't. So I spun around and slid under
him so that he was now in my lap and I was holding him like a mother
consoling a child. Actually I was...my furry child. Anyhow I spoke softly to
him...he's still doing the I fallen and can't get up gig but his tail is
wagging.  Wierd!!! After what seemed like an eternity but was actually only
a couple of minutes he slowly came out of it and then started panting really
hard, like he had just ran a basset marathon.  I think of crap he had a
seizure...he coud have bit off my boob the way I was holding him. Who cares
they are great plastic surgeons around here to sew it back on.  Not the case
if my baby boy bashes his head on the conrete patio.  Finally got him into
the house and into the living room where I held him on the couch until he
totally chilled out and quit panting and started to doze off.  I then got
him up to give him ice cubes to get some water down him...he loves ice cubes
so figured this was the best way to attempt fluids. He ate several ice cubes
and a cookie.  Didn't want him to think he was a bad dog or anything.
Finally at about 4am I decided that we all needed to get a little sleep, and
at this point I wasn't sure  if it was a seizure or a vertigo episode....he
seems fine now but I was still going to take him to the vet this morning.
The boys slept with me in my bed until 6:30 since I was to scared to let
them out of my site.  After putting their lard butts into the bed and lots
of  thank you kisses from the boys they finally settled down.  How much
space can a basset hound take up???  Alot ,and they did!  Here I am in the
middle of the queen size bed, hound on either side of me laying at an angle.
Butts up against the sides of my stomach and heads on $100 tempurpedic
pillows.  By the end of the morning the hounds are laying like kings in a
big ol' royal bed and mom is laying length wise at the foot of the bed.  Now
ain't that the cats a**?   Colt loves his daddy's pillow!
Called the vet at opening and they said to bring them in at 9:30am (Colt
went for moral support)  So. Ruger is fine...Doc thinks that it was an
Idiopathic Seizure. And he has a  50/50 chance of never having another or
50/50 that he does.  Sent me home with 2 syringes of valium to squirt up
Ruger's butt if it happens again.  Yes the butt...it is very vascular and
the valium will be obsorbed into the body as quickly as it it were IV
pushed.  If the seizures reaccur and get too frequent or last to long then
we will put him on phenabarbitol.   They ran blood work and everything was
normal... So Colt & I are just keeping a close eye on Ruger for a while and
see what happens...hoping for no  reacurrances.  Both hounds are stretched
out Colt on the loveseat and Ruger on the couch sleeping peacefully. And now
that Auntie Val (our doggie day care) and the Daddy who is out of town have
been informed of all the excitement the momma thinks she needs a glass of
wine! Is 2pm to early to start sipping at a bottle of vino?...Hell it's
5'oclock somewhere!

The boys will sling some back healing drool to Ms. Beasley and to any other
sick houndie.
Please send a little No more seizure drool to Ruger...Scared the pooh out of
Colt & I.

Michele "Now where's that cork screw?"
 Colt "Ruger's got Demons!!!"
 Ruger "What the...Pink Cowboy on a purple horse throwing me down and
wrapping up my paws!!!"