[Dailydrool] Sore on a toe and smart bassets

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 25 20:14:00 PDT 2010

Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep a basset away from a sore on top of a toe?  My smart basset, Harley, has a hot spot on top of one of his back toes. I have been treating it with antibiotic lotion and cortisone cream, which usually clears up hotspots in my experience, if you can keep the hound away from the spot. I hate to have to put an e-collar on him, as then he can't get in and out of the doggie door, but may need to resort to this.

Bandaging hasn't worked--he pulls the bandage right off. So I started by putting one of my husband's dress socks over the foot and rolling it just above his elbow. Harley takes it by the toe and pulls it off, the way baby's do. I tried a not too tight ponytail covered rubber band around the top (we used to do something similar with rubber bands to hold up knee socks when I was a schoolgirl). No dice--Harley still takes the toe and pulls the sock off. So I picked up a set of "paw protectors" (neoprene dog booties) at PetCo. They were not too expensive and stay on with a strap of velcro which goes around the ankle. Harley gingerly takes the strap and rips it up, loosening the velcro, then slides off the bootie. Anyone else have any good ideas, or is it time for the e-collar?  Val, Bo (who is doing well despite looking like a cross between Frankendog and a baboon--with his shaved behind), and Harley (who really IS very smart)