[Dailydrool] Long haired bassets

Susan Murray-Grage mzkrazykat at live.com
Mon Apr 26 12:54:59 PDT 2010

Greetings, I am responding to the question about long haired bassets.  We had a long haired basset, who had a lot of white on him, and his white fur was long and fluffy, and his brown and black fur was sleek.  He was a puppy mill puppy my husband had acquired, ignorant at that time of poor breeding practices used by some breeders.  Poor old Sam lived to be 13, but not before being brought back from the brink of death once or twice a year for several of those 13 years.  He had Addison's Disease, and had we known of the OEBE, Sam could have contended for Emperor.  We were told by someone we met along the way that long hair was a fault in a basset hound, in answer to the question that prompted me to write. But he was very huggable and very smart.  One of his favorite tricks, being prednisone dependent and constantly hungry and thirsty, was to run to the front door like he needed to go outside, then when one of us got up to let him out, he'd circle back and steal from our dinner plate.  He did other variations on that and got wedding cake being prepared, Thanksgiving pie, Christmas chocolates- among some of his better triumphs.  I was often quite certain he used his Addison's as an excuse for some of his misdeeds.  But we missed him intensely when he was gone, and have our third basset now, also an evil doer, but young still, so he has not reached his full evil potential.

Good luck on your quest!  Susan, slave to Charlie.