[Dailydrool] greatest fear realized

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Fri Apr 30 08:31:51 PDT 2010

Today I sit at work with tears as I read about Maggie and Carl, and their devastation. I have often had my heart stop for a moment and my breath snatched away as I allow the thought of a fire to cross my mind. I know how vulnerable I and my fur family are to such a tragedy.  My neighbor lost her home to a fire a couple years ago, and I sat in the grass with her while her house burned, praying for her, while the firemen came to put out the fire, and the memory stays forever since.  How do you comfort someone in that situation?  I pray...

God, Father and Creator of all life, thank You for loving us puny humans enough to give us animal companions to demonstrate Your love for us.  When You spoke animals into life from the essence of Your own will, You declared that "it was good".  Thank you for using these special gifts to teach us to be better than we would be without them.  Thank You for the examples of unconditional love, protection, loyalty, humor, joy, fearlessness (and fear!), stoic tolerance, and fierce intolerance.  Thank You for thinking of us and knowing our need for these examples even when we don't know our own need.  And Father, at the end of their lives, I thank You for receiving our animal companions back into the love that created them.

Lord, please comfort our friends with the knowledge of Your great love for them.  Hold them in Your arms, prop them up with Your strength, give them peace in knowing that You can turn all things to glory, even our tragedies, our or another's mistakes, and things that other people may inflict upon us.  We know that some things have no explanation and seem to have no reason, but that You can turn them around and find good in all circumstances.

Finally Lord, thank You and praise You that on top of losing everything material and immaterial, you spared the lives of the grandchildren.  Thank You and praise You that Maggie and Carl still have each other, and friends and family to help pick them up.  Give them courage to do the next thing, whatever that may be. I pray discernment in the difficult times ahead, and I also pray that you grant them rest and healing for their weary minds and spirits.  In Jesus name, Amen.

In His love at this time of sadness,
Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!