[Dailydrool] Hydroxyzine

Pam McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Aug 23 14:01:36 PDT 2010

There should be no reason why a hound cannot stay on hydroxyzine for an
indefinite time. Our Abner has had terrible skin-fold dermatitis on his
mouth ever since we got him. He kept getting infections, and I thought we'd
have to give in and do surgery, but a combination of hydroxyzine, another
medication that reduces the itch, and an antibiotic given every other day
has made him perfectly happy.

It is not a terribly expensive medication, so it's not so hard on the
pocketbook. If it's working, I'd just keep with it. But you will have to use
it daily. It's not a long-acting medication.
Pan, food slave to the Dashing Bassets