[Dailydrool] Abbie update - keep the pneumonia Drool coming!

Jaclyn Chancey jaclyn.chancey at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 06:23:04 PDT 2010

Abbie is still coughing, but it's improved from before we started the
antibiotics. We had a follow-up visit with her vet, who took another x-ray
and agreed that we have marginal improvement. The clearing in her lungs is
visible on the x-ray (even to me!) but she still has 2 out of 5 lobes
occluded. So we're back on the same antibiotics to see if we can keep up the
improvement.

So the nice thing is that right now there are no direct indications of
cancer or of a fungal infection (which is better than cancer, but a major
pain to get rid of). However, we can't be sure that this isn't a secondary
bacterial infection to something else. If everyone can keep their fingers
crossed and the drool flowing, we'd really appreciate it. The notes that
I've received both on the Drool and off have been very helpful!

Other than the cough, Abbie is still generally feeling OK. Like most of us,
she's had a bit of tummy upset due to the major antibiotic doses, so she
insisted that I make her sensitive tummy food (rice, chicken, cottage
cheese) unless I wanted to keep cleaning up the living room rug.

We have a house guest at the moment: Clyde, a 2 yr old goldendoodle we're
dogsitting for the friends who kept Abbie and Josh while Will had his
surgery in April. Every time they're together, Josh and Clyde spend the
whole time playing and humping each other. Abbie saves her energy, only
getting in to hump Clyde if she thinks he's too big for his britches. She
did this at his house too! Clyde gets the message: he NEVER initiates play
or anything with The Boss. This was the game last Wednesday when Clyde got
here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpIyBUbWbcY

We're slinging any spare drool out to the families who have lost their
hounds and others who are also fighting to keep theirs a bit longer!

Jaclyn & Will
Abbie & Josh & Clyde the house guest
+ the cats (Look, 2 was bad enough. When is the big muppet-dog leaving?)