[Dailydrool] Homes with Stairs

Tom Hickcox cometkazie1 at cox.net
Sun Aug 1 12:54:18 PDT 2010

I have lived for more than a decade in two story homes and my bassets
have exhibited no ill effects.  My late wife had a basset in a three
level town home who did have serious back problems, but I think they
were due more to a weight problem than the stairs.  Her subsequent
basset had no problems and was much thinner.

Maggie Lou lived half her life with stairs and she could scoot up and
particularly down them with great ease.  When she was really in a
hurry, she would come down hitting about every third step.  It was
remarkable.  She died at age thirteen of liver cancer.  My vet said
when I mentioned something about bassets and stairs don't mix that
perhaps the stairs strengthened her back and helped her live long.

Myrtle, age eight, has been with stairs her whole life with no
problems going up or down.  Mabel, a rescue right at two years ago,
climbs stairs very slowly and deliberately and has to get her courage
up to come down them.  She is a bit plump.

My son's Daisy, aged eleven or so, has been with stairs her whole
life with no associated problems.

My take on it and it is just my opinion from 30+ years around the
luvlies is that stairs may exacerbate an existing problem but don't
by themselves cause them.

Tommy H in Baton Rouge