[Dailydrool] Itching, oh my, lots of itching

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 1 19:04:57 PDT 2010

Here's what our experience has been with madly itching doggies who have
outdoor allergies - see if you can figure out WHEN it starts, for instance,
early July or first of September or whatever.  Mark on your calendar and
then next year start giving the dog allergy medicine beginning about two
weeks before you expect the itching to start.  If you do that you may be
able to keep the itching from occurring, and if not it is usually less
severe than the previous year.  If you wait until you notice the itching has
started, it is harder to stop it or even slow it down.  At least that is
what we have found.

Same as with people, if you know you have bad hay fever every December or
April or whatever, start taking antihistamines a week or two beforehand and
you may keep the attack from occurring, or at least keep it from being a
severe attack.  We do this with Holly the Itchy Dolly, and it has helped her
a lot.  She still itches in December and all summer, but it's fairly well
controlled and livable.  So far this year she has not itched all the hair
off her tummy, no raw scratches and no hot spots.  (Knock on wood!!)

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net