[Dailydrool] Eating dead animals

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Thu Aug 5 17:54:55 PDT 2010

I've read a lot on the Drool about bassets bringing in mice, rats, birds, small rabbits, etc.  Does anyone have a basset that likes to eat small animals that are already dead??  Annie (eater of poop), also likes to eat dead mice and birds.  Some of my neighbors allow their cats to roam (I live in a pretty large townhouse community.)  The cats kill the mice (and maybe the birds, I'm not sure how they die) and leave them on the grass.  Of course Annie finds them and gets them before I realize what she is doing.  Once I figure it out, it's too late (I'm sorry, but I'm not going to pull a half-eaten dead animal out of her mouth!)  I'm worried that she's going to catch some kind of disease!  I'm just wondering if this is typical, or just one of the things that makes Annie "special" ;)  Fred will smell the dead animal, but then walks away...same with other dog's poop.

Rose, Annie (I'm a carnivore!) and Fred (No, you're just gross!)