[Dailydrool] Violeta's Eye - Glaucoma

Connie Moen two.bassets at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 09:40:39 PDT 2010

Our first experience with Glaucoma was with Ernie (atb).  We were travelling
and took him to a Vet Clinic - the Vet that saw him said it was an infection
and gave us some meds to put n the eye.  After a couple of days it was
worse, white and milky and very large.  Took him back to the Clinic and the
next Vet took one look and said it was Glaucoma and he was blind in that
eye.  We cut our vacation short and headed home.  Saw an eye doctor and she
tried to reduce the pressure but was unable to lower it enough. said Ernie
was in pain and she would recommend eye removal.

After his surgery and the healing he was back to his old self.  We treated
the other eye with pills (Methazolamide) and drops (timolol).  Ernie had
sight in his left eye until he went to the Bridge

About a year later our Alice went to the Bridge.  A short time later we got
a call from rescue and they said they had a perfect match for Ernie.  It was
Miss Molly who also had Glaucoma and her left eye had been removed - she was
the perfect match.

For about a year we had two 'Left-Eyed" bassets - they made a really cute
couple, and when people asked we would say it was a new breed - One Eyed
Bassets.

We got Miss Molly over 5 years ago and we use the same meds for her as we
did Ernie.  Miss Molly still has her left eye and can see better than either
Roger or I.

To complete the story, when we moved with Miss Molly to Vegas we adopted
Hank - he has both his eyes but was been blind from birth.

Violeta should do fine, just give her the meds and drops and love her - she
will do the rest.

Connie & Roger and the Bassets, Miss Molly of Vegas, Hank the Tank, Ernie
(atb), Alice (atb), Cleo (atb) & Duchess (atb)