[Dailydrool] False Positive Heartworm Tests

Marilyn Briggs marbriggs at att.net
Fri Aug 27 09:33:01 PDT 2010

We don't have much heartworm here in Utah. I read 6 cases last year. Unfortunately, UFBH
had one of those 6. Now, we just had another dog test positive, which seems really against
the odds for us. Our vet wants to wait a month to retest, but in the meantime, he can't be
neutered.

Do you get false positives on heartworm a lot? Do the vets report all the cases? (I know
no one knows this for Utah vets, but just wondering). It seems just unbelievable that we
would have two positive with the small number of cases here. But then, we test for it and a
lot of people don't.

Marilyn Briggs