[Dailydrool] Oregon Basset needs help NOW placing 5 year old male - Hamlet

Vanis, Nancy Nancy.Vanis at McKesson.com
Thu Dec 2 16:38:03 PST 2010

Oregon Basset has a 'problem child' that we need help finding a home for
right away.  Hamlet came to us from a shelter and needs some help with
some behavior issues.   Normally we would try to help him as much as
possible, even long term, but this boy absolutely cannot stand cats.  It
goes far beyond thinking of them as squeaky toys - he is a feline
'search and destroy' machine.  He also has issues with food aggression
so homes must also not have children.
OBHR is down to 3 foster homes for the entire state right now and none
of them are without cats and/or children and it is becoming impossible
to keep him from trying to get at the foster home cats even when they
are in a separate part of the house.  He is big enough to break through
child gates.
We are at the point of having to make a very hard decision.  He is a
beautiful young red & white boy, who desperately needs someone to take
the time to work with him.  I have a dog very much like him in my home.
It has taken me 2-plus years working with Snoop on his issues.  In some
ways he is 1000 times better, in other ways he still has work to do.
But I wouldn't trade him for the world.
Snoop would have been put down due to biting issues - I was his last
hope.  Hamlet is now at the same point.
It appears his aggression is food based (including raiding the trash
can).  If food isn't involved he is ok, but that definitely means he
cannot go to a home with children.  He would be fine in an adult only
home without any other dogs, in fact he prefers being an only dog.
Obviously a home with no cats or other critters is needed.  And he needs
a basset savvy, strong human to help him learn how to be a good basset
boy.
If there is someone who has room in their hearts to try and help this
boy - please contact me off list immediately.  We only have a day or two
before we have to make a decision.  As I said, our rescue would normally
try to work with the food aggression issues over the long haul, but we
just cannot take any more chances with foster home cats possibly getting
hurt or worse.  But it is also just wrong to have to euthanize this boy
because someone didn't work with him as they should have, and putting
him in a kennel won't help with his issues.  Please help if you can.
Thank you
Nancy
Oregon Basset Hound Rescue.