[Dailydrool] Colbi peeing in the house

Jeni Schomber jschomber at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 09:57:59 PST 2010

We have had Colbi, a 4-year old red and white basset, for a little
over two years now. When she first came to live with us she had
accidents in the house all the time. We chalked it up to getting used
to us, a new house, another dog and a new routine. Turns out she had a
bladder infection. So, we put her on antibiotics and everything was
good. She still occasionally got bladder infections, but nothing that
the antibiotics couldn't fix.

We all settled in to a routine. Up in the morning, outside to pee,
back in for breakfast, sometimes into the crate (hubby works part-time
so he is home at different times throughout the day), outside after
work to pee, back in for supper and then out 2 more times in the
evening before bed. She rarely had to get up in the middle of night to
go out.

Well, we aren't sure what happened, but she is now completely out of
her routine. We can take her out for 20 minutes at time and she won't
pee, but the minute we bring her back in the house she pees on the
carpet. We can take her out right before bed, she'll pee and 10
minutes later she whine to go back out and she pees again. Or she'll
go to bed and wake up at 3:30 a.m. whining to go out again. But then
she can go stretches of time where there are no problems whatsoever
(that's why we're pretty sure it isn't another bladder infection.)

At this point, she really is driving my husband crazy. He's made
comments about not having any peace in the house because of Colbi. It
makes me a bit nervous - I know he loves her but he is truly at the
end of his rope with her.

Help! What can we do to get her back on a schedule? How do you
re-housebreak a 4 year old dog? She's destroying our carpet as well!

Thanks in advance - I know I can count on some good advice!

Jeni Schomber