[Dailydrool] About this and that

Frans Breytenbach soilkraft at mylan.co.za
Sun Dec 5 06:05:54 PST 2010

Reading the DD everyday, I realize how much you guys in the USA do for neglected dogs. I am amazed at the effort you put in for basset shelters and protection of animals. You should really be congratulated, and so too the organizers of the DD. Out here in the small town closest to where I live (Clanwilliam South Africa), there is a voluntary organization (Claws) caring for stray or neglected animals. A retired vet from a nearby bigger town visit us once a week to do necessary operations and dish out medicines. The fundraising barely covers it all. This is the situation in so many small towns in the country, but in the cities it is much better. I do not think we have enough bassets out here to organize a board waddle or similar. Would love to partake in one.

In any case, while you guys are feeling the cold with snow etc, it is mid summer here. The temperature easily reaches over 90 Farenheit and we've had one day of 110 degrees already. Taking the bassets for their daily walk is postponed until close to sunset. Sally has taken a great liking in swimming and is a sure contender for the 5 meters breast stroke during the next basset Olympics.Clara remains her diginfied self and will go into the water only SO deep. A lot of the small bass fish in the dam die due to the heat and the bassets enjoy their daily intake of fresh protein, although at times it is not so fresh !

Our annual orders of basset calenders from the USA has arrived. I made a big mistake by ordering one table calender with a tear-off page for each day. Only when I opened it, I realized that I can't throw a picture of a basset away on a daily basis. Aren't we all fools ? In the end the calender ended up with a vet-pathologist friend. My wife, Mariette, had a brilliant idea of what to do with the old calenders (we can't throw them away either). She took the separate pages to the local stationary and had them laminated. They now serve as place mats underneath the bassets food and water bowls to keep the floor clean. They also make nice christmas presents for the bloodhound cousins up-country !

Any way, keep well, all you basset slaves everywhere in the world.

Frans, Mariette, Clara & Sally.