[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Shannon Kesler sdmckesler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 15:42:36 PST 2010

Hello All, I am new to the Drool and being owned by a Basset.  I have always
had dogs and currently have a very large muttley terrier who is named
BooBoo.  We recently decided we needed a little adventure and took on a
little hound named Hadley.  She is 13 weeks old tomorrow and boy is she
adorable.  If I had known what I was missing not having a basset in my life
wow I would have started MUCH EARLIER!

Anyway I wanted to introduce myself and also ask a question of all you
knowledgable folks.  Hadley has had 3 rounds of puppy shots and is due for a
4th in 2 weeks....my vet wants to give her a 5th round and that seemed
really excessive to me?  Is this something normal?

I am going to be looking for another vet for my Basset anyway because after
reading up on the breed I read so many horror stories about Bloat and it
scares me to death.  I was asking her what I needed to look for, what I
needed to do to prevent it, just trying to get information.  She told me
that Bassets don't get bloat!  I was astounded because EVERYTHING I have
read says they DO!

Thank you all for any thoughts or advice you might have for a new basset
owner!  I am sure I will have questions along the way and I am glad that I
was pointed to the drool and all the fantastic people who are involved with
it!

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Shannon,