[Dailydrool] suggestions to stop behaviors

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 11:47:03 PST 2010

First off let me just say the I take full responsibility for creating
this "monster."  Radar has never had to share his toys until Mollie.
Nobody played with them until she came to live with us.  He has to have
ALL the toys.  He takes them from her even if he has the exact same
thing.  He doesn't even want the toy.  He flies off the couch, snatches
the toy, and puts it on the couch never playing with it.  No problem, I
can handle this.  I take the toy back and give it to Mollie; I get the
"look" but big deal up until now.  Real problem...when Radar was sick, I
babied him terribly.  Now he is out of control, possessive of toys, and
my mother who's visiting and has done the majority of his spoiling.  He
goes after, snarling and grabbing ears, Mollie (96 lbs.) and Otter over
the littlest things.  I put him out on the porch for his time-out.  He
also has an e-collar training collar I have started to put on him.  No
need to use the collar just put it on and he straightens up.  I put him
off the furniture, take the toys away and/or put him in time-out.  I
have told my mother she is not to continuously pet him and love on him.
This is hard for her and she is resisting.  I told her she needs to be
the one to put him off the couch when he acts up around her.  Are their
any other suggestions to stop this behavior?  It's not all the time.
They play together nicely and even sleep together and share.  Radar
doesn't care if they check out his bowl while he is eating.  And you
can't even pin the time or situation of his craziness down.  Of course
none of this happens when my husband is around.  I know it's a dominance
issue just looking for any other ideas before we put the call into our
trainer.
Feel free to contact me off line.
Thanks,
Cheryl