[Dailydrool] Basset ear flushing

clara at spiritone.com clara at spiritone.com
Wed Dec 22 07:27:23 PST 2010

My vet just showed me how to do this. She said for bassets, it is
especially helpful because of their long ear canals.I do this on the
floor as it can be a bit messy. It is a lot like a nasal flush for
people with sinus trouble. It gets all the small bits you can't get
with a cotton ball.

Materials: bulb syringe, bowl of warm water, towel

1. Place the towel under the ear you are about to clean.

2. Fill the bulb syringe with warm water.

3. Place the tip of the bulb syringe as far in the ear as you can
without creating a vacuum. You want a space at the base of the bulb for
the water to escape.

4. Squeeze the bulb.

5. Adjust the towel to mop up the mess you just made. If you are like
me, you just got it all over your pants, too.

6. Repeat.

My vet has me mix ear cleaner with warm water.

Hope this helps

Adrienne, Fiona and Lucy