[Dailydrool] bassets are sensitive and smart

jacquelynn chazey aerogator27 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 17:37:05 PST 2010

Oh yes,  very sensitive and very smart.
I have Pierre jr. in Obedience training, and in one of his recent lessons "leave it", he was introduced to the water spray bottle correction which he totally respects, coupled with a meaningful "Leave it" command.  After the trainer gave him the first blast of water, I could see the immediate sulk in his eyes. We did this a second time, since he still did not get over the scent of the cheese bait, but after the second blast, we practiced recall.   OMG.  I put him in  sit stay, and when I called him to me he went half way around the room to get as far as possible away from the water bottle that the trainer was holding near the delightful and smelly cheese.  I brought that lesson home, and it really works.  So, while Pierre jr. is not a "horrible hound", actually he is rather lovely, but he does counter cruise and steal eye glasses, remotes, etc., but mostly, he needs to learn "leave it" for things that can do him harm.   For instance, the other day, he got an entire loaf of bread, and I have read of disasters with eating too much bread.  I was able to get it away with just a few nibbles taken, and, yes, I will still share with him.  We share a bit of toast every morning.  New Loaf.  Now, I bring the spray bottle in the yard, and instead of him challenging me when I try to pick up poop, and I don't even need to spray him, he sees the bottle, and he lets me pick up before he snacks.  Hard to do with so many hounds, but it is a poop fest reduction and work in progress.
Healing drool to all in need
Jax