[Dailydrool] Gotcha Day

Dede Lichtig shrewsburyzoo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 09:08:30 PST 2010

Christmas Day was my stinky, fat boy Herschel's one year Gotcha Day.  He
arrived on Christmas morning with my daughter who checked out a local
multi-breed rescue decided we needed another pet to augment the 5 we already
had.
He is sweet delight and very Bassy when the mood strikes him.  I am laughing
about all the post regarding nails because he is HUGE and impossible to
trim.  Forget Dremmels (yes, we tried, ) the dreaded orange handled torture
implements, or the fancy ones that tell you when you're going to hit the
"quick".  The last time we tried, we muzzled him and it took my husband, son
and I to hold him while my daughter (also leaned on him) and clipped his
nails.  She is a veterinarian and quite practiced at both directing others
and restraining animals.  This time, he peed right in her face while she
leaned over him to clip his front paws.  We all laughed so hard, he got away
and we had to resume downstairs.  She told me the last time she had to trim
a Basset's nails in the office, he screamed so loudly, she went into the
waiting area and explained to the other clients that she was only doing a
nail trim.  We had a pot belly pig who lived in the house and wasn't a fan
of hoof trimming either, but while she was napping, I used to sneak up with
rose pruning shears and snip one hoof at a time.  It wasn't aesthetically
perfect and sometimes there were days between clipping, but it got
done........Not so with this dog.  As it is, he frequently sounds like a
calypso dancer because we all dread dealing with him and there are long
stretches between trimming.  When he lies next to me, I coo at him and hold
his paws and touch his nails and he's fine. He seems to know when it's show
time and goes berserk.  I have had many animals in my life, but none like
this Basset Hound!

--
Delores, Queen of the Zoo