[Dailydrool] Maggie & Harvey update

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 10:42:09 PST 2010

My vet called at 8 am today to check on Harvey as the vet was closed
yesterday. I told him Harvey had emergency surgery last night at the ER vet.
Harvey is our youngest mini doxie. During exploratory surgery it was found
that he had a whole lot of stuffing from a toy and what appeared to be a
yellow rubber ear toy in him. He remained stable over the night. He has
eaten canned ID food today. At 3 pm Eastern time I call the ER vet and if he
is OK then he can come home tonight to help ring in the New Year with us.

While I was on the phone with my vet, I told him I needed to bring Maggie
in. His techs had the day off, but he met me to see Maggie. She's the 11
year old basset with the snagged nail. He trimmed her nail at the side, put
something or other on it, and trimmed all her back nails on that paw. He
then gave her an antibiotic shot as I do not know what she snagged it on. He
sent her home on antibiotics with a wrapped up paw/leg. She had to be
carried out to the car and into the house. She cannot get her paw wet until
later this afternoon. He claims the nail will grow back fine and she did not
have to be anesthetized at all which I am thankful for. She was so upset at
the vet that she did a #2 all over when he was fixing her up. He said she
was embarrassed.

Now, my unofficial warning. Please do not buy this 6-8 inch long rubber pig
at Wal-mart that comes in a variety of colors, some with polka dots and some
without. Made in China it states on the belly. It comes in peach, yellow,
blue or green. It squeaks when pushed. Inside this rubber toy is a ton of
stuffing! A rubber stuffed toy. This is what my Harvey ate and it almost
killed him. It was the stuffing that caused the issue as it was so thick. I
had three here and I threw them all away after finding out what it was from
finding the hole in the toy and it empty. I cut open another and found how
thick it is. Harvey is not as mini as he should be. He was 16 pounds and he
went into acidosis and almost into shock. He was at the vets just on Tuesday
on IV fluids all day. The x ray did not show this and the ultrasound showed
what appeared to be fluid. The ER vet wanted to treat him for pancreatitis,
but I would not accept this for an answer. They moved the ultrasound wand up
and found that his small bowel was over distended so that is why they did
exploratory surgery. This stuffing did not show up. My baby almost died due
to this. I went through the hounds bin of toys and threw away at least 20
toys today.

Between the 2 hounds, we have spent almost 4K in two days, but I will be
happy to have them home to ring in the New Year with us. Thank doG for
Credit Cards.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,