[Dailydrool] Jerry

mruthenbeckchiaramonte at gmail.com mruthenbeckchiaramonte at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 16:12:14 PST 2010

Hi,

I own a dog training company and have two hounds. Have you considered an older hound(maybe 3 or so)? Many of these hounds have grown out of the puppy behaviors (basset puppies aren't calm) and are wonderful companions with almost their whole lives left. You could use a reputable breeder but it doesn't sound like you want puppy behavior and there are so many homeless dogs.

Many of the older hounds are already housetrained and have experience with cats and the rescue will help find a good match for you. That way you wouldn't have to worry about the stairs either.

My bassets don't counter surf or howl when left alone. In fact I can leave my food on a low table and they won't snatch even though they could. I agree that a friend for your hound is ideal but I had Tabasco by himself for a while and no howling issues.

With training and consistency they can really be well behaved dogs. I agree they aren't for you if you want strict obedience but mine are very easy to live with and don't really have any behavior issues.

We adopted Dharma when she was two. She was a stray and not housetrained but it only took a few months before she had run of the house with no problems.

Now I know I'm a trainer but I also foster. Many of these guys come in with a few bad habits but nothing that isn't corrected in a month or so usually.

They are the most loving, loyal and comical dogs. And I see a lot of dogs. I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Melissa
Tabasco, Dharma and Shelby (ATB)