[Dailydrool] Newbie in the Bay Area

Adelaide Dawes addydawes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 19:42:27 PST 2010

Jerry,

I guess you were at the Golden Gate Kennel Club Dog Show over the weekend!
I'm so pleased that you are interested in adopting a basset hound.  I would
strongly recommend that you visit our website as already advised:

http://www.ggbassetrescue.org/

We have lots of information on the website about basset hounds, and you can
see the dogs that are still available for adoption, with more coming in all
the time.  Every basset is different, just like most breeds.  There are
common traits, but no fast and hard rules.  My own basset does not howl,
counter surf (usually!) or drool (usually!).  She's a petite 39lbs (same
breeder as the recent kennel intake, where all the dogs are fairly small).
She's an absolute sweetheart.  Friendly with everyone and all other
animals.  I know so many people with bassets and cats with no problem.  We
have had some bassets that just haven't understood cats... but that's
usually up to the cat to stand their ground - the basset usually backs off
pretty quickly when faced with a cat!  Of course, if the cat is skittish and
runs, then game on... let's play chase!

If you get your basset hound through a rescue, this is not a quick shopping
trip to get your dog.  You complete an application, get a home visit
(usually with bassets in tow so you can see how they behave in your home
while they see if you are 'basset-proofed'), get approved and then get
matched with the right dog for your circumstances... child proof, cat proof,
housetrained, etc. etc.  You may see a dog on the website, but it is best
not to set your heart on a particular dog right now.  Get approved, then see
what is there and ask about that dog being the right fit for you.  We often
have dogs that never get to the website, as our adoption coordinator can
match them with an approved adopter as soon as they are available.  You will
end up with (hopefully) the dog of your dreams....

If you need to ask any questions off list, please do!

The seal on the deal should be the fantastic support network that you can
look to as a basset owner.  Both on the Daily Drool, and locally via Golden
Gate Basset Rescue and the events that we hold each year.  We have our own
message board as well.  Even if you end up getting your basset from a
breeder (one of those you saw at the dog show hopefully and not over the
internet or off Craigslist!), you must sign up for our emails to stay in
touch with local events.  Every July 4th we join the town of Novato in their
Parade... it's known as a Basset Waddle, and we get at least 100 hounds
walking in the parade, followed by a picnic, raffle, and fun after the
parade.  Hope to see you there!!

Hi All,

My name is Jerry. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I am married,
and we have one child, a very mature nine year old girl. She's not a
real active kid, more of a reader and storyteller. In other words we
don't ride our bikes and go hiking every weekend. My family is
considering our first dog. We went to a dog show to look at all the
breeds and meet the owners, and we fell in love with Basset Hounds. A
bit of history - My wife and I both grew up with dogs. Weimeraner,
German Shepherd, Golden Retriever. About ten years ago I raised a Lab
pup, but tragically she died of cancer at age three. So I do have
adult experience raising a dog. I loved that Lab but I also remember
how energetic she was.

The Bassets appeal to us because they might be a good fit for our
family - don't require a ton of exercise like a Lab or Golden would,
are cute and cuddly, family oriented, and just about as big in size as
we could expect to fit in our Prius. Our preference would be to get a
rescue dog who's already housetrained and has a reputation for being
good with cats (we have two.) We would also consider a pup from a
reputable breeder. But I have to say now that I've been reading about
the Bassets I am not so sure anymore. I'll put it out to the experts
here to set me straight.

Housetraining: Is it true that they are difficult to housebreak, and
it could take up to a year? That would definitely put us off a puppy.

Cats: Most of the rescue listings say "not good with cats." Is
cat-friendliness a rarity in Bassets? Would we have better luck
raising a puppy?

Noise: Do they really bay when left home alone? My wife doesn't have a
9-5 job, but she is in and out quite a bit during the day. I'd say we
are the typical active family, sometimes not home for a few hours.

Counter surfing: What's the deal with this? We cook, food does get
left unattended on a countertop sometimes.

Ear maintenance: How hard is it to maintain good ear health? How often?

Stairs: We read somewhere that pups shouldn't climb stairs until they
are 1 year old. That would be a dealbreaker for us, our bedrooms and
office are upstairs.

What am I missing?

I appreciate any knowledge you folks can give. We think we can love a
Basset Hound, but want to go into it with our eyes open.

Thanks,
Jerry

--
Addy Dawes