[Dailydrool] For Jerry

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 1 20:42:43 PST 2010

Jerry, here's my take on your questions.

Go to your local Basset Rescue, and talk to them.  They have dogs with
different personalities and energy levels and will do their very best to
match your family to the perfect dog for you.  I would NOT suggest that you
get a puppy (or buppy as we call Basset puppies) as puppies are high energy
and very high maintenance.  All puppies (any breed) eat shoes and furniture
and glasses and socks and children's toys and backpacks and anything else
they can find, they get into everything and pee and poop in the house and
destroy stuff - they're also sweet and adorable, but we are talking very
high maintenance for at least two years.  Get an adult Basset that's at
least  3 or 4 years old.  If you decide you are Basset people after you have
your adult dog for a while, you can add a buppy to the family when the time
is right.

We have cats, so we only look for dogs who are cat friendly, and the Rescue
will be able to tell you which of their available hounds are good or bad
with cats.  The Rescue will also have some dogs that they feel would be fine
as only dogs.  Plan on walking your dog at least once a day - all dogs need
exercise, even my old seniors, it burns off excess energy that would be used
to make mischief.  Trust me on this one, this is the voice of experience
speaking here on dogs and walking and burning off excess energy.  And on
getting into mischief.

I have three Bassets, and none of mine howl, so all Bassets do not howl.
Miss Anna likes to go into the back yard and bark at the neighbors, but I
worked on teaching her stop, and she's learned not to do this (most of the
time).  All of them have learned not to go out back and bark at night.  If
you are kind but firm, and also consistent, they will learn.  None of my
girls counter cruise either.  I got lucky there!

Bassets are messy eaters and drinkers - not on purpose - their ears get in
their food and water bowls, and then bits of food and water drip all over
the place.  I just make mine eat in the kitchen, nowhere near carpet or
expensive flooring, and I mop more than I used to.  Which is a good thing,
because I have never been one to over clean, if you know what I mean.  They
also shed, my Gracie sheds enough for 10 dogs, Holly and Anna are light
shedders.  So if you are fanatical housekeepers, these are not the dogs for
you.

Bassets are hound dogs, all breeds of hounds are hunting dogs, and all
hounds are very smart, and were bred to think for themselves in the field.
Some people say that hounds are stubborn dogs, some are and some aren't, but
they all think and decide what they want to do.  And it's not always what
you want them to do.  If you need to be in control all the time, don't get
any breed of hound dogs.  If hair on the furniture and dried drool on the
walls (only Anna drools, but she slings it like crazy) and water dripped on
the floor makes you crazy, no Bassets.  If you can relax and go along for
the ride, you will find they are funny, goofy, very affectionate, wonderful
family members that make you laugh and tell silly stories on the Daily
Drool.  Seriously, go talk to your local Basset Rescue, they try very hard
to find the perfect dog for your family, they want you and the dog to be
happy for the rest of the dog's life.  Welcome to the Drool!

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net