[Dailydrool] to Jerry

LaRock Hounds twobassetsonedoxie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 04:34:49 PST 2010

As far as the countercruising, I guess that I will have to be the one to
admit (much to my bassets' embarrassments) that I do not have
countercruisers.  I have "beggars" who will be underfoot while we are
preparing food. When it is time for dinner, all 4 leggers are told "out of
the kitchen" and are expected to leave to prevent any issues. They are
taught from a young age at my house to leave the kitchen at food time for
us. My human children are also expected to stay away from the 4 leggers at
their food time just to avoid any confusion or issues as I have 5 hounds
eating at various places.  I have had a foster actually jump up and steal
food from my son's plate before.  He was then crated at dinner time from now
on or we simply put a gate up at the kitchen area entry to prevent him from
coming in.

My Maggie never howled until less than 3 years ago and she is 10. She has
never bayed. She had to have our doxie Oliver teach her to howl.  Mazzie
will howl. My bassets don't bay.  Mazzie did go through separation anxiety
before and we found this out by setting up a video camera while we were
gone. Our neighbor told us she could hear her while we were away. Turns out
it was the answering machine and my voice setting her off because she could
hear "me" and not see me.

>From my personal experience, my basset Mazzie was house broken from the
SPCA. One of my mini doxies was much harder to train that my basset Maggie.
Then, two of my mini doxies were easier to train then Maggie.  To Maggie's
defense, I had a 3 year old and a 9 month old when I was working on her
house training.

Now, just as 2 kids from the same parents are not the same, just because 2
dogs are bassets or are that breed doesn't mean they are the same.  If you
go the rescue route, then you will know if you are getting any behavioral
issues, if they are housebroken, the basset will already be spayed or
neutered, up to date on shots, and they will know if they are good with
cats. Honestly, I am not sure if my bassets are good with cats. My daughter
is allergic. We had a cat when she was a toddler for a short time and Maggie
was fine with the cat and they would play. Mazzie shook like a "scaredy cat"
herself at the vet in January when a cat in a crate meowed because I am not
sure if she has ever heard one before.

Best of wishes to you and your family on your search. I give you credit for
going into this with your eyes wide open and researching before jumping in.

--
DRool to all in need,
Dee,