[Dailydrool] added calcium

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 05:26:03 PST 2010

My information on this (and I am not a Vet, more's the pity or I could
charge monthly bills) is that  additional calcium for youngsters is a real
no-no. It causes accelerated bone growth which you DEFINITELY do not want in
a puppy, especially a mutant breed like Bassets. When I got my first Belgian
back in the late 80's we were told to add calcium. Within a couple of years
we were told no no no, no extra calcium.
I am very careful to switch pups to adult food at 6 months so they do not
continue to get the extras in puppy food. Maybe this is wrong, also, but I
haven't had any dogs DEVELOP bone problems, such as crooked front legs or
early dysplasia. I have a crippled dog but he was born that way. Something
happened in utero so it had nothing to do with what he ate as a puppy.
Anyway this is just what I have been told, so I am passing it on.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper